Information for Event Organizers
As of February 2023, the Economic and Workforce Development Department processes special event permit applications. For more information, including special event permit applications, please visit: https://www.oaklandca.gov/services/apply-for-a-special-events-permit
Are you planning an event at a rented city facility?
If so, please review program material and requirements.
Before the Event:
- Plan and organize your event with Zero Waste in mind!
- Choose reusable flatware, cups, plates and table coverings
- Contact food donation organizations to donate surplus food
- Review additional event greening resources below
At the Event:
- Make an announcement to your guests to recycle and compost in the appropriate bins
After the Event:
- Ensure all recyclables and compostable items are placed in their proper bins. Please do not overfill bins.
- Donate Food
Download the City of Oakland Facilities Rental brochure for more information.
- Special Event Permit Application
- Event Recycling Rates
- City of Oakland Facilities Rental Brochure
- City of Oakland Disposable Food Service Ware Ordinance
- BPI Certified Compostable Products Website
- Mayor/Council Debris Box Request Form
- Open Market Recycling Service Providers
- Food Recovery Organizations in Alameda County
Food Donation Resources
Search for a food recovery organization that matches for event needs here.
Call a food pantry for hours of operations and details on accepted food:
- West Oakland food Pantry: (510) 208-5651
- New Beginning International Ministry, Inc: (510) 985-0541
- Alameda County Food Bank: (510) 635-3663 x605
Private Companies to assist you in your zero waste event:
- Waste Busters – Mike Siminitus: (510) 473-2087
- Sud Busters
- SF Clean City Coalition – Gia Grant: (415) 552-9201 x11
- Green Mary – Mary Munat: (707) 548-7582
- Clean Vibes – Anna Borosfky: (828) 738-3817
- Race to Zero Waste