Used Motor Oil and Filters
Residents can place used motor oil and filters curbside for pickup… it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
- Pour the used motor oil into the approved jug provided by California Waste Solutions and close the cap tightly.
- Put the filter into the approved zip tight bag provided by California Waste Solutions or place it into a zip-close plastic bag.
- For pick up, place the jug and bag at the curb next to your recycle cart or bin on your scheduled pick up day.
If you don’t have an approved used motor oil jug and filter bag, you can request one by calling California Waste Solutions at (510) 625-5263 Oakland or emailing OaklandCS@calwaste.com
Residents can also drop off used motor oil and filters at the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facility in Oakland.
For drop-off requirements, location, and hours, please visit the StopWaste HHW page.
Oakland Residents and Businesses
Residents and businesses can drop off used motor oil and filters at Certified Collection Centers (CCC).
Find a CCC near you by visiting this CalRecycle site.
Certified collection centers will pay residents 40 cents per gallon of used motor oil and businesses 16 cents per gallon of used motor oil. Most centers will take up to five gallons of used motor oil at a time.
What to do with other automotive and oily items:
- Put well-drained motor oil drain pans in your recycling cart.
- Take oily gloves or rags to a Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility.
- Take other automotive fluids, like coolant to a HHW facility.
Used Motor Oil and Filter Recycling Guide
Download the used motor oil guide for details about residential curbside pickup and how to prepare oil and filters for recycling: