Apartment & Condo Residents
Services & Information
Your services are provided by two companies working with the City of Oakland. Trash, Compost, and Bulky service is provided by Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc. Recycle, Household Battery, and Used Motor Oil service is provided by California Waste Solutions.
Access to Recycle, Compost, and Trash Containers
Residents of Multi-Family Units must have convenient access to sufficient trash, recycling and compost containers. If your building does not have access to any of these containers, please report non-compliance.
New! Schedule Your Own Bulky Junk Service
As part of the curbside services, Oakland residents who live in apartments can now directly schedule a drop off and a curbside pickup appointment without property manager approval.
Schedule a one-time drop-off of up to four cubic yards of bulky waste at the Davis Street Resource Recovery Complex in San Leandro.
Make a curbside pickup appointment to get rid of even more, up to four cubic yards of waste and limited number of large items like appliances, mattresses, and tires.
Learn more about scheduling bulky junk services.
Property managers can schedule a roll-off container for large multi-unit properties.
Extra Cardboard & Recyclable Debris
Extra Cardboard – Cardboard should be bundled or tied, in pieces not exceeding three (3) feet by three (3) feet, placed beside the recycle cart or bin.
Other Extra Recyclables? If you have extra recyclable materials that do not fit in your cart, please place them in a small or medium size paper bag or cardboard box next to your recycling cart.
Used Motor Oil
Recycling used motor oil and filters is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Pour the used motor oil into the approved jug provided by California Waste Solutions and close the cap tightly.
- Put the filter into the approved zip tight bag, provided by California Waste Solutions or place it into a zip close plastic bag.
- For pick up place the jug and bag at the curb next to your recycle cart or bin on your scheduled pick up day.
If you don’t have an approved used motor oil jug and filter bag call California Waste Solutions at (510) 625-5263 Oakland or email OaklandCS@calwaste.com
Household Battery Recycling
For non-household batteries refer to the Household Hazardous Waste section.
- Put used batteries in a clear zip-lock bag. Place sealed bag on top of your recycle cart/bin on your regular pickup date.
- Include only Household Dry-Cell Batteries such as: Alkaline, Button Cell, Ni-Cadmium Batteries.
- Battery Recycling Information (PDF)
- Disposing of the batteries incorrectly can cause injuries or fire hazards.
- Consumer batteries can short-circuit if their ends come in contact with one another. Place button-cell and NiCadmium batteries in separate, clear zip-lock plastic bags and tape ends of batteries to avoid contact.
Household Hazardous Waste
HHW never belongs in any of the curbside carts. Take fluorescent bulbs, paints, stains, solvents, thinners, adhesives, pesticides, cleaners, household garden and auto chemicals, spray cans, batteries and electronic waste to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 2100 East 7th Street, Oakland. Drop offs are limited to 15 gallons/125 pounds per vehicle. Call (800) 606-6606 for days and hours of operation. Visit household-hazwaste.org or call (800) 606-6606.
Free Holiday Tree Recycling Pickup
Convenient and free pickup of holiday trees takes place on your regularly scheduled compost service day, from the first workday after December 25th through the end of the second work week in January. Cut taller trees to 4 feet – no flocking, ornaments or stands.
All residences in Oakland, including apartments and condos receive this service. For buildings with 99 units or less, set trees curbside. The Property Manager should instruct on the location and dates.
For buildings over 100 units: Building or Property Managers may order a large roll-off container to collect trees. The Property Manager should instruct on the location and dates.
There is no trash, compost or recycle collection on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day or New Year’s Day. During years when these holidays fall on a weekday, pickup is one day later for the rest of the week, including Saturday. For example, if your regular service day is Tuesday service will occur on Wednesday, or if your regular service day is Friday service will occur on Saturday.
Trash, compost and recycling collection schedules are not affected by any other holidays.