RESIDENTS, download a printed version of your Program Guide:
- English – Oakland Apartment & Condo (5+units) Residential Recycling Program Guide
- Spanish – Guía para el Programa de Reciclado en Apartamentos y Condominios
- Chinese – 住宅公寓廢棄物回收項目指南
- Vietnamese – Hướng dẫn Chương trình Tái chế Dành cho Chung cư và Hộ gia đình
PROPERTY MANAGERS, click here for your Property Manager Toolkit. Also see the Service Information tab below.
Click here for Bulky Pickup Service details.
CLICK ON TOPICS BELOW FOR THE INFORMATION YOU NEED
By collecting food scraps, we’ll reduce waste and create compost for local farms and gardens.
COMPOSTING IS AS EASY AS 1 -2- 3!
- While preparing meals or when cleaning the refrigerator, separate any food scraps and always scrape any extra food from your plate into the compost bin.
- Use a kitchen pail, a reusable plastic tub or any compostable paper container such as take-out boxes or paper bags.
- Include food-soiled paper such as coffee cups and filters, paper plates, napkins, paper towels, waxed/parchment paper, and take-out containers.
- Freezing food scraps or wrapping them in newspaper can prevent leaks and odors.
- Empty food scraps, food-soiled paper and plant debris into green compost cart.
- By collecting food scraps, we’ll reduce waste and create compost for local farms and gardens.
Watch a video on how to compost in your home!
What goes into the Compost Bin?
Food Scraps, Food Soiled Paper, Plant Debris
What DOES NOT go into the Compost Bin?
Any non-compostable item. No plastic bags of any kind.
What goes into the Recycle Bin?
Empty Glass, Aluminum, Metal & Plastic Containers, Beverage & Soup Boxes, Clean Paper & Cardboard
What goes near the Recycle Bin?
Break down and fold cardboard boxes to smaller than 3’ x 3’ and set them behind or against your cart or bin. Put household batteries in sealed plastic bag on top of recycle cart or bin. Where permitted by property owner, put Motor Oil Recycling Kit next to cart. Request kit from property manager.
What DOES NOT go into the Recycle Bin?
Do not place any food scraps, non-recyclable or hazardous items. This includes polystyrene and foam packaging, paint, and light bulbs.
What goes into the Trash Bin?
Non-Recyclable & Non-Hazardous Materials
Donate gently worn items to a second-hand store or clothing drive.
Tattered and stained clothes belong in the trash.
What DOES NOT go into the Trash Bin?
Do not place food scraps, recyclables, or hazardous waste into trash cart or bin.
Household Hazardous and Toxic Waste
Household hazardous and toxic waste disposal services are available to all Alameda County residents (not businesses) who bring their own household hazardous waste.
Take fluorescent bulbs, paints, stains, solvents, thinners, adhesives, pesticides, cleaners, household garden and auto chemicals, spray cans, batteries and electronic waste to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 2100 East 7th Street, Oakland. Drop offs are limited to 15 gallons/125 pounds per vehicle. Call (800) 606-6606 for days and hours of operation. Visit household-hazwaste.org or call for more details, including Small Business Program information.
Recycling right starts in your home
In your apartment, set up separate containers to collect your compostables, recyclables and trash. Residents should request a free kitchen pail and recycling caddy from your property manager.
Place your separated compostables, recyclables and trash into the labeled collection containers in your complex.
Information for Building Managers
All carts or bins should be set-out curbside by 6am on the regular scheduled pickup day. Additional push rates apply to on-property services. See rates here.
Order Free Tools and Resources
Make sure you and your residents have the tools and information to recycle right. (Free Tools and Resources Order Form)
- For your Residents
- Informational brochure on trash, compost, and recycling service.
- Kitchen Pail for in-home collection of food scraps & food-soiled paper*.
- Recycling Caddy for in-home collection of recyclables*.
*while supplies last
- For the Building
- Recycling/Compost posters for common areas.
- Manager/Owner brochure for complete services.
- Download Property Manager Recycling Services Kit.
- Download Alameda County Waste Management Authority Mandatory Recycling Ordinance Notification Materials.
- View California’s Mandatory Commercial Recycling requirements
Get Free Technical Assistance
Need help assessing your service needs (trash, recycling and compost collection) or the placement of collection containers for optimum participation? Contact customer service:
- Recycling – Contact California Waste Solutions or call (510) 625-5263
- Trash & Compost – Contact Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc. or call (510) 613-8710
Service Level Changes
To order additional Compost or Recycling containers, or to change Trash service level, contact your service providers:
Trash & Compost – Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc. – 510-613-8710
Recycling – California Waste Solutions – 510-OAKLAND
Service Rates: 5+ Unit Apartments & Condos (July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018)
(5+ Unit Apartments & Condos (July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017))
Use the Sample Minimum Trash Container Combinations Table (2017-18) to find the cost of various container combinations that would meet your building’s service level needs.
Free Holiday Tree Recycling Pickup
Convenient and free pickup of holiday trees takes place on your regularly scheduled Compost service day, from the first work day after December 25th through the end of the second work week in January. Cut taller trees to 4 feet – no flocking, ornaments or stands – and place curbside*.
All residences in Oakland, including apartments and condos receive this service. Please note that a separate collection vehicle may pick up the trees.
*For buildings over 100 units: Building or Property Managers, please call Waste Management at 510-613-8710 to determine the best method of collection and schedule service.
Preparing Your Holiday Tree
Cut to 4 feet – no flocking, ornaments or stands. Place curbside between 12/26 and 1/14 on service day.
Árbol de navidad: córtelo a una altura de 4 pies (1,22 m) y quite toda la nieve artificial, los adornos y los soportes. Colóquelo en el borde de la acera entre el 26/12 y el 14/01, en los días de servicio.
聖誕樹：裁切為 4 英尺長 – 不要有填充物、裝飾品或底座。請在指定期間 (12 月 26 日至 1 月 14日) 的服務日，將樹木放在街道邊。
Cây mừng lễ: Cắt từng khúc 4 feet – không có bông tuyết, đồ trang trí hoặc chân đứng. Đặt bên lề đường trong khoảng thời gian từ ngày 26/12 đến 14/1 vào ngày có xe đổ rác làm việc.
Minimum Trash Service: 20 gallons per unit.
Trash/Compost: Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc., 510-613-8710
Recycling: California Waste Solutions 510-OAKLAND (625-5263)
SIGN UP FOR SERVICE