Oakland Zero Waste Service Information
Multi-family properties (5+ units) are required to have recycling and composting collection service for their residents. Effective January 1, 2017 the compost/organics provision of the Alameda County Mandatory Recycling Ordinance (MRO) is being enforced by the Alameda County Waste Management Authority. Multi-family properties are also subject to mandatory organics by the State of California under AB 1826.
*Oakland Municipal Code requires property managers to provide residents access to all franchised collection services. (OMC 8.28.140.D)
Compost Cart Availability
Make sure you have enough service to capture all food scraps, yard trimmings and food- soiled paper your residents generate. Carts and bins are available at no additional charge. Order what you need today!
To request additional cart(s), contact Waste Management at (510) 613-8710.
Tools for Successful Composting
To help create a successful food scraps collection program at your building, Waste Management offers onsite technical assistance and door-to-door outreach to tenants.
For Your Residents:
- Trash, Recycling & Composting Service Brochure
- Kitchen Pail for In-Home Collection of Food Scraps/Food-Soiled Paper
- Multi-Lingual Videos on “What’s Compostable”
(Click here for video)
- Posters for Trash, Recycling & Composting
- Caddies to collect recyclables
For Your Building(s):
- Property Manger Recycling Services Kit (download)
- Bulky Pickup Program
- AC Mandatory Recycling Support Material
Need help assessing your service needs or the placement of collection containers for optimum participation? Contact your Oakland Recycles team to schedule a site visit:
- Compost & Trash– Contact Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510-613-8710.
- Recycling– Contact California Waste Solutions at OaklandCS@calwaste.com or call (510) 524-5263
- General Service Request– Submit online
Discover All the Services Available to Multifamily Buildings
- Bulky Pickup Service (1.5 cubic yard per unit plus unlimited recyclables)
- Motor Oil Recycling Collection**
- Free Holiday Tree Collection
- Pay as You Go Collection Service for additional bulky collection
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off
** In accordance with program guidelines which vary by number of units per property
Property Manager’s Tool Request Form
Intended for Multifamily Properties with 5 or more units. Single-Family residents may visit this page for single-family services.