Oakland’s Re-Create Art Contest Now Underway
Students in Oakland schools are invited to participate in the 2015 Re-Create Art Contest, Oakland’s annual recycled art competition. Participants will use discarded or reused materials in a creative application of the 4Rs – reduce, reuse, recycle, and rot (compost). All Oakland students in grades TK-12 are eligible to participate in the contest. Art supply sets, and theater and museum passes will be awarded to contest winners.
A public reception and awards ceremony will be held on Friday December 4, 2015, from 5:30-7pm at Pro Arts Gallery, 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Oakland, CA.
Oakland’s Re-Create 2015 Art Contest and Traveling Exhibition is sponsored by the City of Oakland, Public Works Department and produced by Pro Arts Gallery.
Free Re-Create Workshops
Pro Arts will provide FREE hands-on workshops at the following Oakland Public Library branches to assist the students in creating artwork from discarded materials:
- Saturday, Oct 10, 2015, 2-4pm – Cesar Chavez Branch Library, 3301 E 12th St.
- Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015, 3:30-5:30pm – Montclair Branch Library, 1687 Mountain Blvd.
- Tuesday, Oct 20, 2015, 3-5pm – West Oakland Branch Library, 1801 Adeline St.
- Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015, 2:30-4:30pm – Melrose Branch Library, 4805 Foothill Blvd.
- Friday, Nov 6, 2015, 3-5pm – Main Library, Children’s Room, 125 14th St.
- Saturday, Nov 7, 2015, 1:30-3:30pm, – Lakeview Branch Library, 550 El Embarcadero
- Tuesday, Nov 10, 2015, 5-7pm – Elmhurst Branch Library, 1427 88th Ave.
- Thursday, Nov 12, 2015, 3:30-5:30pm –Piedmont Avenue Branch Library, 80 Echo Ave.
- Saturday, Nov 14, 2015, 1-3pm – 81st Avenue Branch Library, 1021 81st Ave.
- Tuesday, Nov, 17, 2015, 4-6pm – Eastmont Branch Library, 7200 Bancroft Ave.
- Tuesday Nov, 17, 2015, 4-6pm – Golden Gate Branch Library, 5606 San Pablo Ave.
Slide Show of Previous Exhibits
For a slide show of previous exhibits, click here.