Free Tools and Resources
For Multifamily Property Owners and Managers
Make sure you and your residents have the tools and information to recycle and compost right.
Recycling and Compost Service Required
Multifamily properties (5+ units) are required to provide recycling and compost collection service for all residents. You must:
County requirements at My Recycling Rules. State compost collection requirements and recycling collection requirements. Oakland Municipal Code requires property managers to provide residents access to all franchised collection services. (OMC 8.28.140.D)
Compost Cart Availability
Make sure you have enough service to capture all food scraps, yard trimmings and food- soiled paper your residents generate. Carts and bins are available at no additional charge. Order what you need today!
To request additional cart(s), contact Waste Management at (510) 613-8710.
Need help assessing your service needs or the placement of collection containers for optimum participation? Want to request assistance with door-to-door outreach to tenants? Contact your Oakland Recycles team to schedule a site visit:
- Compost & Trash– Contact Waste Management of Alameda County, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (510) 613-8710.
- Recycling– Contact California Waste Solutions at OaklandCS@calwaste.com or call (510) 524-5263
- General Service Change Request– Submit online
Tools for Successful Composting
To help create a successful food scraps collection program at your building, Oakland Recycles offers onsite technical assistance and door-to-door outreach to tenants. We also provide signage and materials, which you can order below.
Free Common Area Bins
For a limited time, Alameda County Waste Management Authority is offering free indoor bins to qualifying Alameda County multifamily residential properties (5+ units) for the collection of food scraps, compostable paper and plant debris (“organics”). A variety of containers and lids are available—up to a value of $500 per approved site including tax and delivery! To apply.
Tools for Successful Recycling
To help create a successful recycling collection program at your building, Oakland Recycles offers onsite technical assistance and door-to-door outreach to tenants. Although recycling has been around longer than compost collection, many buildings can benefit from technical assistance to improve services and proper participation. We also provide signage and materials, which you can order below.
Summary of Tools and Materials Available
For Your Residents:
- Trash, Recycling & Composting Service Brochure
- Kitchen Pail for in-home collection of food scraps/food-soiled paper
- Recycling Caddie to collect and transport recyclables
- Multi-Lingual Videos on “What’s Compostable”
(Click for English video, Spanish video, Chinese video, Vietnamese video)
For Your Building(s):
- Property Manager Recycling Services Kit (download) (current rates)
- Indoor and outdoor posters for Trash, Recycling & Composting (multiple sizes – for common areas and collection locations)
- Container and Cart labels
- Bulky Pickup Services Information
- Alameda County Mandatory Recycling Support Materials
Discover All the Services Available to Multifamily Buildings
- Bulky Pickup Service (1.5 cubic yard per unit plus unlimited properly prepared recyclables and compostables)
- Motor Oil Recycling Collection
- Free Holiday Tree Collection
- Pay as You Go Collection Service for additional bulky collection
- Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off
Property Manager’s Tool Request Form
Intended for Multifamily Properties with 5 or more units. Single-Family residents may visit this page for single-family services.